Last night was very emotional for me because I started thinking about my childhood and the people around me as a child. Last night was dedicated to my sister Roberta, but tonight I would like to talk about my oldest sister Myrna.
She was my protector and companion. She told me about finding four leaf clovers and how rare they were. She had me search for one, one hot summer day. I did eventually find one and my reward was sharing a chocolate malt from Fields drug store. Myrna was my best friend and we were very silly together. Singing silly songs that we made up on the spot. If we weren't singing silly songs we would find Rhythms that made us laugh. Syncopation was very funny to us, and to this day I find that rhythm funny.
Myrna was a bit of a tomboy and liked playing sports. I know she liked boys a lot too. I can remember her going a way for a week or so, and years later She told me that she had to go away and have an abortion. She had to be only fifteen at the time. Two years later she met and married her husband Leon lake. Lake(he was called) was in the air force and took Myrna off to Panama, but before she left she had a baby girl named leslie. A pretty brown skinned baby who took most of myrna's time. Making a home for lake was a duty that she did as an obligation and duty to the marriage. I don't think she liked home making, but she did it anyway.
Lake brought latin music into our lives. Myrna and I loved to listen to The complicated rhythms that latin music uses so well. So exciting for two kids from Minnesota, who only heard what the farmers wanted to hear. From twang to trombones and conga drums.
I knew that she was going off with Lake and I would not see her for a long time. When she did leave for Panama she promised that she would write and that she would be very sad if I didn't write to her.
We did write each other and I got lots of information about Panama and the strange animals she would see just going about her daily life. The strangest animal she told me about a three toed sloth. Very slow and it had green fur. It didn't sound possible. Three toes and green.
Two years later she returned home a changed woman. The laughter was not so plentiful anymore. Leslie had grown into a very unpleasant child who did not know how to be nice or fun the way a child should. Myrna and Lake had three kids and each one was inhabited by very unpleasant spirits. Maybe it was me who thought that somehow they changed my best friend and most protective sister Myrna. I did grow to like them better when they got a little older.
No comments:
Post a Comment